Sunday, August 17, 2008

Like Mother Like Son?

When I was in elementary, my mom was substitute teaching a few days a week. That later developed into a ESL position in Iowa, and for the last several years she has been WOWing fourth graders with her ridiculously sweet teacher skills.
Not only by my mother, but I have often been encouraged to pursue a teaching degree during the last six years of working with youth in the Twin Cities. With Brazil on the horizon, I knew that the Lord was calling me to a different path. Wouldn't you know it, the Brazilian government has asked me to provide at least a substitute teaching license from the state of Minnesota in addition to my other documentation to enter their country. Now with the start of the school year just around the corner, I have my sub license and I have been hired by the Minneapolis Public School District to be a substitute. I do have a job currently with the YMCA, helping run a before and after school program. But this fall my options are wide open, and I may find myself following the early stages of my own mother's teaching career.

No comments:

 
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.